Wednesday 11 November 2015

It just goes to show the diversity of culture we have around the world today. By only comparing two ethnic groups you can find either some common similarities or major differences of how they perform the same custom. While I was reading “The Namesake” in the first two chapters, it helped me understand the key concepts of having children in the Indian culture, specifically concerning their naming process. The first issue Ashoke and Ashima faced was determining the name of the child, which to them was not a priority at the time after Ashima’s pregnancy. In order to leave the hospital, the doctor will need all documentation to be completed including the child's name to keep on file and on the birth certificate. In Indian culture, they want to choose a meaningful name that gives character as well as preferred qualities in the hopes of having the child live up to its name. “Good names tend to represent dignified and enlightened qualities”(Lahiri, 26). Personally I agree with the opinion of having meaningful names instead of whatever fits right. My mother named me Daniel after the biblical figure in the holy text of Christianity. My mother liked this name because some of the qualities associated with Daniel from the bible are courageous, full of loyalty and a respectful man, which my mother hopes that I will follow. I can connect to the naming process of the Indian culture which by reading this book, helps me understand the difference in culture that they have to the Americans.

4 comments:

  1. Great post Daniel ! I must agree that having a meaningful name is better than just whatever pops into a parent's head or whatever fits. I can relate to you on a biblical figure being one of the reasons for my name. Shari is actually a diminutive of Sharon from the Bible. Although my name does not have many qualities associated with it. My mother is a very religious person and having a name that was connected to the great book of God was very important to her. I can also connect to the naming process of the Indian culture, unlike many American cultures, my mother didn't look through baby books or ask around for cute baby names, she followed Christ which lead her to Shari.

    I must say I like the qualities associated with your name and I hope you will make your mother proud and follow through on your good name. Hope to hear more from you in the future.

    Shari Alana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Daniel for this insightful post about the naming process the Indians use to name their kids. I agree with you and I can also relate to the fact that parents would like to give their children a meaningful name, that represents beautiful characteristics and qualities. I can relate to this because my grandmother chose to name my mother “Hanan” which translates to love, kindness, care, and warm-heartedness, and I can testify to the fact that mother is exactly just that. She is the most thoughtful and kind human being one can meet on this earth. With such an example I can now see why Ashokes parents were very concerned on the name that they were going to choose, because it will carry meaning pertaining to character and personality for the rest of her life.

    Mohamed Berrada

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can agree with the concept of having a meaningful name, instead of whatever fits and I can also relate. I was named after a biblical figure as well. Stephen means “crowned one” and Stephen in the bible had great faith. My parents (choosing the name Stephen) wanted the qualities associated with my name to reflect on what type of man they hope for me to be. My parents believe and hope that one day my characteristics will relate to the meaning “crowned one” and relate the characteristics of a king. I can definitely relate the Indian naming process and I believe that names should have meaning and should be significant to either ones religion or/and family. I really enjoyed your post, and I am looking forward to your next one.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete