Wednesday 25 November 2015

After finishing this book, my initial thought and reflection of this novel was a cliche everyone is familiar with such as “what goes around, comes around”, in better terms known as karma. As cheesy as this sounds, the message being said here still stands true to its meaning. This is a saying that can affect all of us throughout our whole life time. As readers, we learn in the 8th chapter that Gogol, or should I say Nakhil is having an affair with a married woman he meets at the bar named Bridget. Gogol knowing full well that Bridget is a married wife to a professor that teaches out in Brooklyn Heights, still chooses to meet up with her twice a week to help her cheat on her husband. Disregarding the consequences, Gogol knows that there is no chance they will be caught with the affair they are having, which motivates them to continue the interaction they are having. Throughout chapters 9-11 we figure out that Gogol ended the relationship he had with Bridget because of the guilt he had for her husband. A year later Gogol’s able to restore the friendship he had with his old friend Moushumi and evidently ends up marrying her overtime. Gogol's deeds don't get overlooked becomes essentially what he did to others happened to him. Moushumi’s desire to be with Dimitri lead to the Monday, Wednesday and Friday late night affairs they had that lasted for a month. In a superstitious mindset Gogol had what was coming to him. Personally I feel that you get what you give, and Gogol got what was coming for him. “This is what upsets her the most to admit: that the affair causes her to feel strangely at peace, the complication of it calming her, structuring her day”(Lahiri, 266). Without Moushumi knowing anything about Gogol's past with Bridget, she is able to do exactly what he did when he was in Dimitri's shoes. The reasoning of why she has no sympathy from this situation is the “universe” trying to get back at Gogol's actions. I can connect to this idea because I've witnessed this concept happen to my pet cat. As a kid my cat would always chew on toys and put anything in his mouth. Over time my family members and I would always try to correct him by taking them out of his mouth but he'd continue to do the same behaviours as always. it didn't take too long before he chewed on something and then turned very ill for a couple of weeks. I'm not only referring to my personal experience but this goes to show that there are such things as positive and negative types of karma, and are basically determined with your own moral beliefs and values.

2 comments:

  1. Daniel, can I just say when I read that you were connecting Moushumi’s affair to your pet cat I found it absolutely hilarious. However, I still realize the irony of Gogol having a relationship with a married woman, only to find out later on in his life the woman he is married to is having an affair. But I think after Gogol ended things with Bridget he realized he was wrong and never would have expected it to happen to him a couple of years later. This was an interesting blog post and just wondering is your cat still alive?

    Your group member that one time,
    Saphia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel my friend! I too am a believer in karma, as I have experienced it first hand. I have a very similar story, except it involves a dog instead of a cat. Back in the day, my dog used to always eat stuff off of the sidewalk when she was being walked. We would always tell her that was bad, but she was a stubborn dog, and did not like to listen. One day, she ate a leftover shawarma, which contained onions. Onions are extremely toxic to dogs, and she too got very sick.

    Thank you for sharing your story my friend, I look forward to reading more of your blogs in the future.

    ReplyDelete